This topic can no longer be replied to because it has been locked.

Force subscription for everyone who finish a purchase
Gravatar
Hello guys,

EDIT: Since version 1.1.8 there is a configuration to handle checkout subscription.
The following fix will still work for custom checkouts though.

Since the checkout subscription option is still not available and many users were asking about this, I am glad to inform there is a way to force everyone who finish a purchase to be subscribed.

For those who want a checkbox in the checkout I'm sorry but you guys will need to wait for the next release.

In order to force the subscription you need to edit two lines of the code.
The first one is for guests who finish a purchase.
The line is in the file at app/code/community/Ebizmarts/MailChimp/Model/Api/Orders.php in particular THIS LINE.
Set that to:
"opt_in_status" => true

The other line is for registered customers and the change is pretty much the same.
In the same file at THIS LINE.
Set that to:
"opt_in_status" => true

In this second case the same can be achieved by setting the configuration "Subscribe all customer to the newsletter" to Yes.

I hope this helps until the next version with the checkout subscription checkbox.

Kind Regards,
Santiago.
Gravatar
Hi Santiago

Thanks for posting that, and I know you only posted it to help user out but I think this would break mailchimps signup rules (adding people to you mail list without permission) and could get your account suspended if people from the mailing list complain. Just giving people a heads up.
Gravatar
Hello,

When people add their email to your site they already accept that you will have this information, it is not t he best practice but at the moment is the only way to subscribe after checkout process.

We are currently working on the checkbox which will be a better option as soon as it comes out!

Regards,
Santiago.
Gravatar
I understand what you are saying, but thats not how mailchimp sees it, they are quite clear:

Express means that when you asked for permission, your question wasn't tied in with another agreement. For example, a separate checkbox for "I would like to receive marketing email from XYZ company" is express and clear.

So you can't just says "by placing an order on our website you agree to join our mailing list"

more info:
http://kb.mailchimp.com/accounts/compliance-tips/the-importance-of-permission

I understand this it just a quick fix, but users should be aware this breaks mailchimps rules
Gravatar
You are completely right Patrick.
Thanks for your contribution!

Regards,
Santiago.
Gravatar
Hi Santiago,

you suggested to change line #312, but this was the correct line in v1.1.5. In v1.1.6 the correct one is #276, so please change it in the links you posted.

PS Thanks for the fix

Dimitris
Gravatar
Hi,

Do you have an estimate for when the plugin will work with the "sign up to newsletter" tick box for guest checkouts? - This is very important for us along with many others - and is something that used to work with magemonkey

Thanks
Gravatar
Hi,

Another vote for when will this feature be included? Is it currently under active development?

As a temporary measure is this class called on the order processing controller? If so If we were to add in something that checks if the tick-box has been checked and sets true or false based on that, will that cause any other issues, ie, is that class used elsewhere?

Kind regards.
Gravatar
Yet another vote for this. In the past, we didn't use email marketing much, but we want to push it more. We had mageMonkey installed and recently switched to MailChimp for Magento. Somewhat confused about the number of relatively standard functions that didn't seem to make it into the new extension. Hopefully the checkout checkbox will make it into one of the next updates.
Gravatar
Another vote there, module is pretty useless for us until this is working, but quoting from another thread:

Yes, it will be implemented in the future, there is no ETA at the moment.

NEWSLETTER

Subscribe to our newsletter to receive emails and useful news articles